Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Unified Messaging

From the always helpful Wikipedia....


Unified Messaging is an indistinct term that can refer to the typical definition[1] of simple inclusion of incoming faxes and voice-mail in one's email inbox, all the way to dictating a message into a cell phone and the intelligent delivery of that message to the intended recipient in a variety of possible formats like text email, fax, or voice recording. Because of the nebulous definition of UM, it was number one on the 1998 Wired Magazine "Hype List".[2]

It is, nevertheless on it's way to us as a test at least.

My primary goal is the less inclusive defination of the term. Put in peasant terms, I want to be able to have my voicemails in my email so I don't have to go through the process of dealing with two different systems, phone and email, for my work related messages. I like the idea, and I'm hoping enough of my internal customer base will as well to make it a hit.

That said, a few things about Unified Messaging using our existing systems (NorTel KSU's and Call-pilot) deserve mention.
  1. Our NorTel Call-pilots, which host our voicemail boxes, are capable of providing voice mail to email with a reasonably priced add-on.
  2. Unlike the BCM's (Business Communication Managers) the call pilot version won't hook directly to our exchange server, rather they present as seperate mail boxes through each Outlook client.
  3. That means that it will be limited to the users home workstation, be unable to put voicemails in the general inbox, and require deployment on a site by site basis.
  4. To avoid (3) I could go with replacing the callpilots and KSU's with BCM's but won't... because I'm a cheap bastard unwilling to spent several thousand dollars per site just to avoid having to push a bunch of buttons on my phone.

No comments: