Monday, November 17, 2008

CAML's nose, intent

One element of concentration, coming up as we do more and more with SharePoint, is the ability to present information to my various teams in the form of webparts. I thought, prior to studying a bit more, that the approach would be similar to that I use for distributed projects, specifically a call to a web-service that returns XML for the host application to process. I was wrong.

The proper approach appears to be CAML (Collaborative Application Markup Language) an XMLish query language specific to SharePoint. It appears at least that I can build the gathering query(s) into the gadget, greatly increasing speed and reliability. CAML also seems to have a set of tags designed to render the data.

So today the blog gets its first tag… CAML

No comments: